- A situation in which the king is directly threatened by an opposing piece.
- An inspection or examination.
- A control; a limit or stop.
- A mark (especially a checkmark: ) used as an indicator, equivalent to a...
- A mark (especially a checkmark: ) used as an indicator, equivalent to a tick (UK).
- An order to a bank to pay money to a named person or entity; a cheque (UK, Canada).
- A bill, particularly in a restaurant.
- A maneuver performed by a player to take another player out of the play.
- A token used instead of cash in gaming machines.
- A lengthwise separation through the growth rings in wood.
- A mark, certificate, or token, by which, errors may be prevented, or a thing or person may be identified.
- The forsaking by a hawk of its proper game to follow other birds.
- A small chink or crack.
- To inspect; to examine.
- To verify the accuracy of a text or translation, usually making some corrections (proofread) or many (copyedit).
- To mark items on a list (with a checkmark or by crossing them out) that have been chosen for keeping or removal or that have been dealt with (for example, completed or verified as correct or satisfactory); to check off, tick (UK), tick off (UK), cross off, strike off.
- To control, limit, or halt.
- To verify or compare with a source of information.
- To leave in safekeeping.
- To leave with a shipping agent for shipping.
- To pass or bounce the ball to an opponent from behind the three-point line and have the opponent pass or bounce it back to start play.
- To hit another player with one's body.
- To remain in a hand without betting. Only legal if no one has yet bet.
- To make a move which puts an adversary's piece, especially the king, in check; to put in check.
- To chide, rebuke, or reprove.
- To slack or ease off, as a brace which is too stiffly extended.
- To crack or gape open, as wood in drying; or to crack in small checks, as varnish, paint, etc.
- To make checks or chinks in; to cause to crack.
- To make a stop; to pause; with at.
- To clash or interfere.
- To act as a curb or restraint.
- To turn, when in pursuit of proper game, and fly after other birds.
- A pattern made up of a grid of squares of alternating colors; a checkered pattern.
source: Urban Dictionary
- 1.to put someone in their place
2.to realize your current position in any of many situations
3.paper money you write