Do people say

English sentences with opposite in context,

67266 exact matches

Maybe you should read the linked article because it says exactly the opposite of what you think.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

No it's not being used in the opposite of its definition.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Dictionary
opposite (adjective)

  • Located directly across from something else, or from each other.
  • Of leaves and flowers, positioned directly across from each other on a stem.
  • Facing in the other direction.
  • Of either of two complementary ...
  • Of either of two complementary or mutually exclusive things.
  • Extremely different; inconsistent; contrary; repugnant; antagonistic.
source: Wiktionary

opposite (noun)

  • Something opposite or contrary to something else.
  • An opponent.
  • An antonym.
  • An additive inverse.
source: Wiktionary

opposite (adverb)

  • In an opposite position.
source: Wiktionary

opposite (preposition)

  • Facing, or across from.
  • In a complementary role to.
  • On another channel at the same time.
source: Wiktionary

show more

For me it's the opposite.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

BNW is the opposite of 1984.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I'm the total opposite..
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Fortunately, the opposite has not been shown to be the case, where a fall from grace is met with a concomitant fall in rankings.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Typically, Career Counselors and other admin types use this website to learn about which rates are open, which rates are accepting cross-rating, the year groups that these rate need, and the opposites.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Sounds like the opposite of a problem
source: Redditshow contexthide context

It's always the exact opposite for me.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I think if anything I went the opposite way you probably thought I was going to say a sentence ago: I accepted that I am not a super special snowflake, never will be, and it doesn't matter.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

It was like being in some alternate reality mirror universe where everything is the opposite of what it's supposed to be.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I get that from shrooms, but quite the opposite from acid.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I usually hear the opposite: we're so unique and rare, on one speck of dust in an unfathomably large universe...why are we destroying ourselves over such pettiness, such small spaces?
source: Reddit

Because, in the same way, I can go and say: "Ibn Taymiyya said the opposite!"
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I wonder how the same can cause seemingly opposite effects in people?
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I'm the opposite, usually I get Onion Rings and a fry decides to make itself a part of the family.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

A bit of googling actually suggests the opposite.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I think his point was the opposite: calorie deficit is all that matters.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Support equality for all ethnic backgrounds and genders, or else you will always create an equal opposite reaction to your efforts because you are by definition working AGAINST some people by working FOR only a segment.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

These were all points I brought up in the post which you claimed was 'entirely incorrect' - therefore, you must logically believe the opposite to be correct.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I guess that makes sense but I think it might have actually done the opposite of that.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

If you squander, it's the opposite, and if you don't do anything, that's also kind of a failure but not such a drastic one.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I am too lazy to verify the legitimacy of the rest of this claim since there are many, many kinds of artificial sweeteners, but at the very least the exact opposite is true for the sugar alcohols.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

For a time, ACoy was almost the opposite: only your main could be in the guild.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Eh it was worse when people were using opposite tags for a while for some god forsaken reason.
source: Reddit

Could have gotten quite awkward if Danny had chosen to escalate it as opposed to going the opposite route and defusing it.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

The claim of "I accept Christianity as true" is not the absence of belief in or the opposite of the above.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

The actual opposite/absence of belief would be "I do not believe that the universe is caused by purely physical causes and is not due to an supernatural being."
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I find it's quite the opposite with my wife.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

the "6 Falcon 9 rockets" is the opposite, which is a bit strange.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

What does it mean if the opposite happens?
source: Redditshow contexthide context

I work with delinquent teens, most of whom are the opposite of "genius" on the IQ scale.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

What you have is a 51% chance to not roll a 1, and a 49% chance to do the opposite, and there are only 2 outcomes in this simulation (Rolling 1 and not rolling 1).
source: Redditshow contexthide context

People from the opposite sex can smell desperation.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Whistling a happy tune to himself, he meanders down the street in the opposite direction of Jessica.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

The opposite for me.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

There may be some individuals with financial influence in OPEC, but I see no evidence that our government controls Saudi, if anything, I see the opposite.
source: Reddit

Lastly, you have a bit of opposite symmetry it looks like with the top and bottom pieces the same size, then the two middle pieces similar as well, but if you look at the top right and bottom left corners of the canvas, you can easily see they don't quite line up with each other.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Lately I have been focusing on doing the opposite- dressing better for the body I have now, which made me feel better, which in turn made me take better care of myself...and now my weight is changing.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Every single one in the top ten are all very well known for the exact opposite actually.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

On one side of the orbit (from 6 to 12) the force will act in the prograde direction (along the direction of motion), and on the opposite side (from 12 to 6) the force will act in the retrograde direction (opposite the direction of motion).
source: Redditshow contexthide context

The team you mention is sort of the opposite of what you want for a Set team.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Root for a second team that's in the opposite conference.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

Sort of opposite, but anyways.
source: Redditshow contexthide context

This is why I always try to trip in a nice environment, I'm completely the opposite; I feel like if I venture out into the world I'll get paranoid and think everyone is out to get me...but being in a nice environment with people I trust is always re-assuring.
source: Reddit

You preach compassion for human beings in your words, and then do the exact opposite with your actions and it's disgusting.
source: Redditshow contexthide context